The Sky-Watcher EQ8 is an exciting new extra heavy-duty, observatory class German equatorial mount, with a payload capacity of up to 50kg. Quiet in operation, the EQ8 is supplied with the Synscan Go-To handset and can automatically find and track over 42,900 celestial objects from its extensive computer database.
Available either complete with pier tripod or as the mount head only, to install onto a static pier. Two 10kg counterweights and the Synscan handset are supplied with both options.
A great feature of the EQ8 is the patented dual-encoder technology. Auxiliary encoders are located on both the R.A. and DEC. axes. This allows the telescope to be moved manually, by releasing the clutches, or electronically in either axis without the mount losing its alignment or positional information. After moving to a new object, the mount will continue to track it accurately. This gives the user enormous freedom, convenience and flexibility during observational sessions.
Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PPEC)
The EQ8 is equipped with an index on its R.A. worm. After a proper PEC training routine, in which the training data is stored in the motor controller permanently, the user can start the PEC training at any time to improve its tracking performance for short focal length astrophotography. A training process is not required in the next observing session, assuming the polar alignment is always accurate, thus this is a permanent periodic error correction (PPEC), and the user can train the mount for manual guiding or auto-guiding.
The EQ8 is equipped with two home position sensors. Working with the Synscan hand controller, the mount can be placed to the same home position after turning on the power.
Batch Exposure Function
The EQ8 is equipped with a SNAP port which can control the shutter release of a camera. Working with the Synscan handset’s ‘Camera Control’ function, a user can take batch exposures when doing astrophotography. Up to 8 groups of ‘exposure times & frame’ combinations can be set on the Synscan handset.
- Payload Capacity (excl. counterweights): 50kg
- Latitude Adjustment Range: 10° to 65°
- Azimuth Adjustment Range: +/- 10°
- Mount Head Weight (excl. tripod): 25kg
- Pier Tripod (optional): 29.4kg
- Counterweights: 2 x 10kg
- Counterweight Rod: 2.6kg
- Power Requirement: 11 to 16 Volts DC, 4A
- Motors: 0.9° Hybrid Stepper Motor
- Transmission: 435:1 Worm Drive + 64 Micro-Step/0.9° Stepper Motor
- Resolution: 11136000 Counts/Rev, approx 0.12 Arc-Second
- Maximum Slewing Speed: 3.3° per Second
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar Rates
- Auto-Guiding Speeds: 0.125x, 0.25x, 0.5x, 0.75x & 1x
- PEC: 100 Segments Permanent PEC
- Polar Alignment: By software control or optional Polarscope
- Hand Controller: Synscan
- Object Database: 42,900+ Objects
- Celestial Object Catalogue: Messier, NGC, IC, SAO, Caldwell, Double-Star, Variable Star, Named Star, Planets
- Pointing Accuracy: Up to 5 arc-minutes (RMS)
- Resolution of Auxiliary Encoders: 17624 Counts/Rev, approx 1.2 arc-minutes
|Model ||Prod. Code ||Price |
|EQ8 PRO COMPLETE WITH PIER TRIPOD ||20292/20293 ||£3678 |
|EQ8 PRO MOUNT HEAD & HANDSET ONLY ||20292 ||£2899 |
|POLARSCOPE FOR EQ8 ||20295 ||£119 |
|PIER TRIPOD FOR EQ8 ||20293 ||£779 |